Monday, October 1, 2012

Eddie's Attic: ATL Symphony Musicians Break Out!

I've often heard it said that a great artist conforms to no one's expectations but his own.

The Break Out evening at Eddie's Attic was a nonconformist's heaven.  An experience I've never had before, to tell you the honest truth.  Chamber music played in the kind of intimate setting that you only read about in 19th century novels (well, the ones I read, George Eliot, Balzac, Tolstoy):   Mme. So-and-So's salon, where everybody gathers to listen to Chopin or Lizst ... help themselves to punch and cigars and diss the Emperor.

We had beers, mixed drinks and Eddie's expert waitstaff ... and a post-revolution crowd over at the bar that got a little rowdy at times.

The musicians made the most of the telescoped distance between the packed-in audience and the stage ... like a DVD loaded with 'extras'.  Christopher Rex, for example, took us on a journey of Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite in E-Flat Major ... playing it once with commentary, noting all the twists and turns and modulations on the 'map' ... then played it once more after we had marked everything on our internal GPS.  I'll never hear that piece the same way again.

Somebody is going to have to help with the program notes ... We heard Mozart, Golijov, Bach, Ligeti bagatelles for wind quintet, Brahms.  I apologize for not writing it all down and presenting a proper coherent review.  Mark Gresham from ArtsAtlanta was there and I leave that in his capable hands.  Here's his preview of the concert, with comments from associate principal violist and event-organizer Paul Murphy.

Now I can say I've had the salon experience ... Eddie's Salon ... surrounded by close friends, drinking my beer ... while the music, often startling and unexpected, played with passion and humor, flowed into a place inside me, that I had not realized was so thirsty.

I'm ready to do it again!

    



4 comments:

  1. Sally, I couldn't agree more. This was an intimate salon experience, with beatnik vibes. My favorites included Edgar Meyer and a couple unfamiliar pieces that I'd like to recall, if some of the players can fill in my memory gap. Let's continue this revolution by promoting similar concerts, at Eddie's and other venues. Last night's musical experience was a rare gem, one to be shared again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Edgar Meyer work was unfamiliar to me; frankly, about half of what they played in 3 hours was unfamiliar! So cool, the pieces they picked. I'd never heard the Golijov ... last night showed me how chamber musically-challenged I am. And I'm with you, this experience needs to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The future of my profession. Methinks I'm hearing the siren sound of retirement echoing in mine ear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm hoping you'll hear the siren sound of more concertizing. I think what the Break-Out evening at Eddie's Attic highlights is the depth on the ASO's bench ... and its ability to engage new audiences -- in unexpected venues. We in the 'burbs are starved for this kind of guerrilla music-making.

    ReplyDelete